I love oatmeal. One of my favourite breakfasts is hot oatmeal with cinnamon, a dash (okay, maybe a little more than a dash) of maple syrup, and berries. Mm, mm.
The other thing I love about oatmeal is how you can bake with it. Like oatmeal cookies. This recipe I used made me happy because the cookies really did come out chewy, and that's the only way I like to eat cookies, oatmeal included.
Here's the recipe!
Chewy Oatmeal Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies
makes 18 cookies
adapted from Butter Baking
- 110g unsalted butter, softened (1/2 cup)
- ⅔ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup plain flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ - ½ tsp salt, to taste
- 1½ cups rolled oats
- ¾ cup dark chocolate chips
- ¼ cup toasted walnuts, chopped
1. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or non stick silicon mat.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, rolled oats. Set aside.
3. Using a stand or electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until they are combined. Turn the speed to low and slowly add the flour mixture until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts.
4. Using an ice cream scooper or spoon, scoop up 1" balls of dough onto the baking sheets.
5. Preheat the oven the 350F and while the oven is heating up, keep the cookie dough balls (on their baking sheets) in the refrigerator to cool.
6. Bake in the oven for 12 minutes until the edges are golden and the centers are soft.
Enjoy with a tall glass of cold milk! :)