This is my favourite banana bread recipe because it uses whole grain flour and brown sugar & honey to sweeten it up. Today, I also decided to jazz it up with a bit of super-easy-to-make chocolate ganache icing.
1 3/4 cup whole grain flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 cup mashed over-ripe bananas (about 2 bananas)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup hot water
Optional: chocolate ganache icing
1/4 cup semi sweet chocolate
1 tbsp milk
1. Preheat the over to 325 degrees
2. Lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan
3. Combine flour, cinnamon, salt in a bowl. Whisk and set aside.
4. In the bowl of a mixer, beat butter, honey and sugar for 2 minutes. Add the eggs and lightly beat until combined (there will still be chunks of butter mixture, and that's ok). Mix in the bananas and vanilla, do not overmix. Gradually beat in the flour mixture in thirds.
5. Dilute the baking soda in 1/4 cup of hot (not boiling) water, then beat into the batter.
6. Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 1 hour or until a knife comes out clean.
7. Remove from pan and place on a wire rack to cool.
For the chocolate icing:
Place the chocolate (cut into pieces) and the milk in a bowl. Microwave it on medium-high for about 1:30 minutes. Remove from the microwave and stir the chocolate and the milk together until you get a smooth, thick consistency. Then spread the chocolate over your cake, and voila! you're done!