They're so lovely. Just sayin'.
I love steaming artichokes and dipping the leaves (and the heart, of course) into my homemade dijon vinaigrette.
The way to steam artichokes is to fill a pot with about 1-2 inches of water and then place the artichokes face up in the pot. Put the heat on high until the water comes to a boil, then turn the heat down to a simmer. Close the lid and steam the artichokes for about 30 mins. You know they're re done once you can easy pluck out one of leaves.
I have them with a vinaigrette made from dijon mustard, white wine vinegar, olive oil, salt & pepper.
How to eat steamed artichokes:
1) pluck out a leaf starting from the outside
2) dip the bottom of the leaf into your vinaigrette
3) scrape the bottom of the leaf with your teeth
4) continue steps 1-3 until you get to the heart
5) pull out the hairy part at the top of the heart
6) dip the artichoke heart into your vinaigrette and enjoy your prize!