Like chicken? Got 5 hours to spare? Then this recipe is for you!
Here it is!
Mr. A's Smoked Chicken
1 whole chicken
8 tbsp brown sugar, packed
3 tbsp salt
1 tbsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp herbe de provence
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1. Wash the chicken and remove the insides (if present)
2. Prepare the rub in a bowl and mix it up
3. The next part can get messy, so I did it outside on the side of my grill. You have to rub the spice onto the chicken. The key is to get it into all the nooks and crannies and give your chicken a good massage.
|Gettin' ready for a rub down|
|Post-massage - much more relaxed chicken|
Tip: Use a thermometer! Insert an oven safe thermometer into the breast of the chicken. You want it in the thickest part, but don't put it too far and hit bone. I highly recommend using a thermometer. Otherwise you will have to guess when the chicken is done, or check it by cutting into it. If you do that, the chicken will lose it's precious chicken juice and dry out. That's bad! Using a thermometer, your chicken will come out very juicy. That's good!
|Thermometer in action. Mine has that wire that goes to a digital display. Fancy!|
5. Cook at 200 to 220 degrees F. You only want to use the the burner on the side with the wood chips. Put the chicken on the other side. After about 5 hours, your chicken is done! Finally!
6. But wait! If you cut into it now, you will lose your chicken juice. That's bad! Let the chicken rest for 10 minutes and the juiciness will be locked inside. That's good!